Pastor to Youth and College Job Description
Job Title: Pastor to Youth & College
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Full-Time (or possibly Part-Time if needed)
The person in this position will provide spiritual, relational, organizational, and administrative leadership to the church’s ministry to youth and college students. This person will introduce, instruct, and nurture students from 6th grade to senior in college
in their walk with the Lord through the studying of Scripture, prayer, fellowship, worship, service, and outreach.
This person will measure success by, and all events must lead to, the amount of new converts and spiritual maturation in the students (by either the Discipleship Assessment or some other assessment).
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (examples of duties and responsibilities):
- Develop and maintain programs for making contacts by building relationships with youth (and families) and college students in the Lawrence area such as Wednesday night gatherings, Sunday morning classes, and weekly college meetings.
- Lead weekly Bible studies for Youth and College.
- Develop ministry and education programs, goals, and objectives in conjunction with the Senior Pastor.
- Plan and coordinate youth and college events such as retreats, summer camps, worship nights, and mission trips.
- Assist with recruiting, training, and equipping volunteers in the skills needed to lead, teach, and nurture youth and college students.
- Assist and collaborate with other ministries to encourage multi-generational fellowship.
- Maintain open communication with the Senior Pastor in planning and directing the youth and college ministry through staff meetings and personal meetings.
- Perform other church duties as directed or required.
Training, Education, and Experience
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school in a related field for Youth Ministry
- Previous experience and/or demonstrated skills with youth, families, and college leadership are required.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
- A solid, deliberate saving relationship with Jesus of Nazareth, manifested in a life of devotional habits (e.g., Bible study, prayer, worship, service)
- A lifestyle which matches the teaching of Jesus and the New Testament and is beyond reproach in all areas of behavior (e.g., see Mark 7:21-22; Rom. 1:29-31; 13:13; 1 Cor 5:10-11; 6:9-10; 2 Cor 6:9-10; 12:20-21; Gal. 5:19-21; Eph. 4:31; 5:3-5; Col. 3:5;
3:8; et al.)
- This person must be constantly hungry for and pursuing converts and growth, without the need for micromanagement.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to practice appropriate confidentiality
- Ability to utilize effective communication skills in person, by phone, in writing, and through social media
- Ability to follow a budget
If this job description interests you:
- Please read this document closely and make sure you have no hesitation in its requirements and expectations.
- Please peruse the church’s website (www.fcclawrence.org) and make sure you have no hesitation with what you see (We’re also on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.).
- Please glance at the Pastor’s website to see if you concur (enough) with his theology and background for him to be your supervisor (www.davidpendergrass.com)
- Please submit your resume to email@example.com along with
- your results from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (free tests can be found online and don’t take long),
- your top three strengths,
- your top three passions,
- a brief explanation of your philosophy of youth and college ministry (a paragraph is sufficient),
- a brief description of your theological stance (e.g., “evangelical non-Calvinist whatever”), and
- your view of homosexual marriage.