Messiah is seeking a passionate, responsible individual that will organize and execute ministry objectives and strategies designed to engage and build strong Christian faith and love for Jesus in children. This person ensures a smooth and safe operation
of Children's Ministries; establishes cirriculum and activity materials, leads ministry coordinators and volunteers; and, provides a relevant and exciting environment for faith development.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge with children's ministry based programming that engages children and provides tools to parents to help nurture spiritual growth in their children. Knowledge of local ministry conditions is critical as
are verbal and written communication skills, relational and team partnering skills, technology proficiency, and the ability to recruit and support volunteers.
Messiah Lutheran Church is a vibrant community of ministry partners with a 50-year history of living the Great Commission. On a strong foundation of teaching and equipping, it is intentional about its mission to "Love God * Love One Another" in congregational,
local and global service settings.
Director of Children’s Ministries
The purpose of this position is to design and direct a ministry program that reaches children (birth through 5th grade) through engaging education, service, worship and fellowship activities that promote a growing, loving relationship with Jesus Christ and
a passion for service.
- Establish and Promote Ministry Vision -
- Collaborate with the Senior Pastor, Staff and Children’s Ministries Advisory Board to develop, execute, and communicate Messiah’s children’s ministries vision.
- As a partner in the faith journey of Messiah’s children, represents the interests of children and their parents at decision making meetings and sessions.
- B. Develop and Execute Ministry Programming -
- Develop and execute a comprehensive children’s ministries program that includes worship, study, fellowship, retreat and service experiences that guide children as they grow in faith.
- Partner with the Senior Pastor to develop and secure theologically aligned and developmentally appropriate resources and curriculum that support the work of teachers and group leaders.
- Ensure a relevant, fun filled, fast paced, engaging, and grace filled environment; creating a strong desire for children to be a regular participant in ministry programming.
- Identify regular opportunities to reach children for Jesus in our community (e.g. VBS, Trunk-or-Treat, etc.)
- Develop, submit, and manage the ministry annual spending plan (operating budget).
- Develops, establishes, maintains, and ensures compliance with Messiah’s child safety policy.
- C. Manage and Support Ministry Staff and Volunteers -
- Recruit, train, equip, schedule, communicate with, and support ministry volunteers; bringing children to Christ through a well-trained, inspired and caring team which is passionate about shaping children’s hearts with the love of Jesus Christ.
- Hires, schedules, trains, develops, and performance manages Kid Care Attendants; ensuring a dependable, competent, attentive and caring team who loves children and is able to effectively respond to their needs.
- D. Develop and Implement Ministry Communication Strategy -
- Develop and implement an effective and inspiring communication strategy for regular Children’s Ministries news and updates - website, social media, print materials, etc.
- Provide parents and guardians with resources that better enable them to nurture their child’s journey in learning Biblical truths and experiencing the love of Jesus Christ.
- Provides regular ministry update reports as required.
- E. Seeks Wisdom and Guidance -
- Spends regular time in prayer to discern God’s will for Messiah’s ministry and the children and families it serves, as well as those children in our community who don’t yet know Christ’s love.
- Regularly meets with ministry parents, volunteers, church staff and the Children’s Ministries Advisory Board to seek feedback on ministry improvement opportunities.
- F. Supports other Messiah Ministries and Events -
- Actively engages in and supports other Messiah ministries and events (e.g. new member orientation, community “love” events, fall kick-off, Lenten service projects, ministry fairs, confirmation Sunday, Christmas and Easter events, etc.)
- Participates in staff meetings, Advisory Board Meetings, Congregational Meetings and Council meetings as required.
Competencies, Skills and Experiences
- Minimum of 3+ years related experience leading a children’s program (K-6)
- Strong, growing faith and relationship with Jesus Christ; including a regular worship and prayer life
- Demonstrated passion for children’s ministry
- Ability to build, inspire and maintain a dedicated volunteer team to support the execution of ministry objectives and programs
- Strong organization, process management, and delegation skills to facilitate programming logistics
- Ability to work as a team and cooperate with others to meet the needs of the congregation
- Punctual and dependable
- Identifies, solves and resolves problems in a resourceful, Christ-like manner.
- Highly self-motivated and achievement oriented
- Creative and resourceful
- Cooperative, joyful and relational spirit- approachable and works well with others
- Flexible, adaptable and calm under pressure
- Effectively manages competing priorities and delegates as required
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills with both children and adults, including competency in use of email, video, social media, texting and newsletters.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study - Christian Education or Elementary Education degree preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience which has provided both theoretical and practical knowledge of the field
- Subscribes to and applies foundational Christian theology; with understanding of Lutheran theological tradition
Interested Parties Please Contact
Messiah Lutheran Church
4861 Liverpool St.
Yorba Linda, CA 92886