DIRECTOR OF TRADITIONAL MUSIC
Oceanview United Methodist Church – Juno Beach, FL
Our current search is focused on someone able to serve 20-25 hours per week, inclusive of Sunday responsibilities (up to 3 hours). Candidating will include a Sunday performance, directing a Wednesday night Choir rehearsal and meeting the Choir, meeting
with our Staff Parish Relations Search Team and approval by our church board. To apply, please include letter of introduction, resume, references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To facilitate our weekly Traditional worship experiences to include a mix of worship music by the Celebration Choir along with drama, dance, instrumentalists and arts. The Director of Traditional Music plays a vital role
as part of our highly collaborative and innovative Music and Creative Arts program. As a forward-thinking, outreach-focused person, he or she will help infuse creativity and vitality into our Traditional Worship life in the following ways:
- Supervise the Traditional Accompanist/Organist, Choral volunteers and Celebration Choir.
- Plan and select music and musical presentations for the Traditional worship service and other special services or events as required.
- Along with the Director of Praise and Worship, build Oceanview’s Worship and Creative Arts ministry into the culture of the church and the community.
- Maintain all traditional choral music files. Conduct the Traditional “Celebration” Choir and seasonal groups as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the planning of all Traditional worship services, including special services such as Easter Sunrise, Maundy Thursday, Ash Wednesday. (Oceanview utilizes Planning Center Online).
- Create thematic consistency so music and all worship elements fit well with sermon texts/topics.
- Oversee the Music and Creative Arts budget in partnership with the Director of Praise and Worship as well as Staff and Leadership of Oceanview United Methodist Church.
- Lead weekly traditional choir rehearsals, including special called rehearsals as needed.
- Attend Worship Planning/Design meetings, Staff meetings as required.
- Communicate with all Staff, Pastors, Directors, Accompanist/Organist.
- Work with Staff and Communications in regard to bulletin preparation, website.
- Possess a strong and abiding faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior.
- Solid musicianship: both vocal and keyboard. Excellent background in music theory.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries from staff, leaders, volunteers or congregation.
- Great at directing small volunteer choirs with clarity, decisiveness, enthusiasm and patience!
- Excellent leadership, administrative, organizational and communication skills.
- Should be highly self-motivated and creative.
- A team player – able to work alongside the Director of Praise and Worship and Handbell Director.
- Values excellence, not perfection. Has the ability to coach and mentor others. Vision for growth.
- Ability to handle change: Adjusts to changes mid-service, or in tasks or environment - adaptable.
- Knowledge of history of worship and current trends in worship and how these relate to Traditional United Methodist faith and practice.
- Able to support and communicate the vision, mission and values of Oceanview Church.
NOTE: A background check is required for this position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervise directly the Traditional Accompanist/Organist. Schedule and supervise any additional Traditional instrumentalists. Supervise and mentor any Traditional music interns, community service interns.
A complete Job Description is available upon request.
JOB TYPE: Part-time (Non-exempt), approximately 20-25 hours per week, holidays.
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Bachelors [Bachelor’s Degree in music, a related field or equivalent experience preferred. Some biblical training preferred.]
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
SALARY: $20,000 per year
DENOMINATION: United Methodist
CHURCH SIZE: 100-300
WORSHIP STYLE: BLENDED TRADITIONAL AND BLENDED CONTEMPORARY
ZIP CODE: 33408
OCEANVIEW UNITED METHODIST CHURCH is a small, United Methodist church of approximately 100-300 people in Juno Beach, Florida. Oceanview currently conducts two services each Sunday. The 9:00 am service follows a more contemporary format and
the 11:00 am service is traditional, choir led. A key role of the incoming Director of Traditional Music will be that of, along with the Pastors, the Director of Praise and Worship, and the Worship Design Teams, evaluating our current worship services and
creating and executing against a vision for the future of worship at Oceanview. The church is committed to creating a relevant, spiritually vibrant worship experience in a very diverse, seasonal congregation.